Can I just say, holy crap! It didn’t feel dramatic until I typed out “decade.” Just me? OK, well, anyway…I mentioned (briefly) yesterday that it was my 10th high school graduation anniversary. And that got me thinking all night about what 18-year-old Adriane’s attitude, situation and expectations were and how much I’ve done in the 10 years since. Which inevitably led to wondering what the next 10 years might hold.
I figured it might be fun to post today about it. I woke up this morning pretty groggy and still stuck in a weird memory lane/hazy time warp. I read some blogs while I ate my breakfast and discovered, I’m not alone! Apparently, pre-summertime nostalgia is creeping around:
Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers quit her desk job and asked readers about their dreams and 5-year plans.
Jasmine @ Eat Move Write is celebrating her birthday (happy birthday!) and discussed aging and lessons of “adulthood.”
Tina @ Carrots ‘n’ Cake even wrote a letter to her younger self and asked readers to think back 8-10 years and what they would say to their own younger selves.
Funny right? Ah, timing.
Here’s a Greenhorn timeline of some of my memorable moments:
- I was one in an almost 500-person class. We were arguing about ours versus the 2000 class being the “true” first graduating class of the 21st century (because there was no year zero). Apparently, it was important.
By the end of 2001:
- I told my U.S. Air Force recruiter I would, in fact, not be on their plane to boot camp because I had been accepted to the University of Central Florida as a Graphic Design major.
- I signed my first lease for an apartment off-campus with my best friend.
- My grandmother and I went to Australia (my first time overseas). Yep, just the two of us. One of my favorite trips of all time. My grandfather passed away after a battle with Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma just 8 months prior, so spending time with her and getting out of town was such a nice way to bond. I’ll be forever grateful for the experience. I forgot my passport so we missed our first plane, my luggage went to Rome so she and I had to share her clothes for a week and we missed two extra days in Sydney because of the luggage hunt—and I wouldn’t change a thing.
- Completed my first semester of college.
- Took public transit everywhere since I didn’t have a car.
- Started working at Sea World.
- Bought my first cell phone.
- Got drunk for the first time. Learned I hate that feeling.
- Started doubting my fine arts major.
- My best friend and roommate ‘came out’ (and start dating one of our other roommates).
- Taught a few Salsa dance lessons with another roommate.
- Got put on academic warning.
- Spent Spring Break in a New York nunnery (I went to visit my cousin who was a priest, anyways, it’s strange story but it was great fun).
- Started dating Jeremy.
- Adopted our pup, Alaska.
- Vacation to visit Jeremy’s friend in Los Angeles.
- Went into shock when UCF told me I couldn’t enroll the following semester because my GPA was too low.
- Accepted to Valencia Community College.
- Celebrated 21st birthday with family at Discovery Cove.
- Car broken into and emptied.
- Terrible hurricane season.
- Bought my first car.
- Viewed a live birth (that sticks with you).
- Graduated with my AA degree.
- Introduced to the public relations field.
- Got denied re-admission to UCF.
- Made the tough decision to move back to Jacksonville with my family.
- Got accepted to University of North Florida.
- Got my own apartment.
- Had my family leave me this time, as my brother went to UCF and my Mom moved to Utah.
- First long road trip with Jeremy (Florida to Illinois).
- Las Vegas with Mom.
- Florida Keys with Mom and Derek.
- Jeremy moved to Jacksonville from Orlando and we moved in together.
- Graduated from college (with a 3.8 GPA and praise from professors–rough start, strong finish).
- Got hired three weeks later as a contract worker in a corporate communications position.
- Won an Outstanding Achievement award from my contract company after being nominated by my boss and his boss.
- Jacksonville Jaguar season tickets.
- First of my childhood friends got married.
- Adopted our cat, Bear.
- Got engaged.
- Got hired at my job.
- Bought our first house.
- Discovered Young House Love while Googling home décor ideas and the door to blogs was opened.
- Got married.
- Went to Hawaii.
- Took a business road trip with my CEO.
- Won a Rising Star award from my professional organization.
- Hosted New Year’s eve party at home.
So far, this year:
- Committed to learning about and taking steps toward a healthier relationship with food and fitness.
- Started this blog.
- Announced goals.
So, that’s my look back. It makes me excited for the next 10! How about you guys? Big plans for the next decade? What’s your favorite memory from the last one?