Today’s experiment category is food. I have had lasagna noodles in my cabinet forever. I finally decided I had to use them! Google pointed me to lasagna roll-ups courtesy of Rachel Ray via the Food Network. They looked delicious and fun! Hooray for playing with food (not while you eat it)!
We invited our friend, Joey, over for dinner (I didn’t mention to him he was going to be my guinea pig). I don’t like Gorgonzola, Jeremy doesn’t like ricotta and Joey doesn’t like mushrooms…but I decided maybe together, it’d be good. Maybe? After all, this baby had 85 reviews and an overall rating of five stars. The full recipe is in the following link: Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna Roll-ups with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce.
Here’s my pictorial summary…
- In a medium skillet sauté mushrooms, chopped onions and garlic. Add dry chopped spinach. Add ricotta and mix to form your lasagna filling.
- Make Gorgonzola sauce by melting veggie or chicken broth, crumbled Gorgonzola and heavy cream together in small sauce pan. Set aside.
- Smear filling mixture over cooked noodles.
- Roll up and place in shallow baking dish.
- Place rolls in a shallow baking dish. Pour sauce over roll-ups and top with mozzarella.
- Place casserole under broiler to melt cheese.
- Serve with side of your choice. I went with simple spinach salad.
Our experience was a bit different but not less than the five-star rating that everyone else had also reported! The recipe was a bit more elaborate than I felt like following…who has cremini mushrooms on-hand? Not me. I just used standard white button. I also used vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
We also started brainstorming how to improve it for next time. I added some marinara to mine and Jeremy heated up some grilled chicken strips. Both were delicious additions. Next time we’re considering bell peppers, ground chicken or turkey, Asiago, etc.
So, what did you try today? Anything new? Hope you enjoyed your weekend. Get through the week and you can have another one! 🙂